What is RoIP and Why is it Important?
Whether it’s through popular internet-based phone systems such as Skype, or any number of mobile messaging apps that feature calling functionality, it’s possible the traditional landline telephone has been erased from your life altogether.
There’s more to communications than just phone calls, however, and for dispatch operators around the world, the benefits of digital radio may not yet be fully understood.
Just like its VoIP counterpart, Radio over Internet Protocol (RoIP) has fundamentally altered the efficiency and effectiveness of radio communications.
What is RoIP?
At its core, RoIP is the integration of VoIP technology in two-way radio. Rather than transmitting voice data through traditional means – signals sent through a network of transmission towers and expensive copper lines – RoIP harnesses the power of the internet to send data from one user to another. Offering a cost-effective way to interconnect radio systems and operators together, the technology not only delivers greater reliability than existing radio communications networks, but enhances and adds value thanks to additional features not previously possible. These benefits arise from the ability of digital technology to utilize existing IP infrastructure that makes up both local and wide area networks. Just as VoIP technology has allowed users to communicate with people in any location more easily (and affordably) than ever before, RoIP offers a huge array of benefits to organizations who adopt the solutions.
RoIP Benefit #1: Lower Cost
- Integration with existing IP infrastructure (either LAN, WAN or VPN): Removing the need for additional installation and maintenance of the network architecture.
- Availability and decreased cost of equipment: Not only is RoIP equipment becoming more accessible and affordable, but often systems can be crafted to include common off-the-shelf hardware like routers and switches.
- Leased line replacement: Remove the monthly fees associated with dedicated voice paths offered by telecommunications service providers
- Shared resources: Therough the use of an IP gateway with digital radios, protocols can be shared amongst a number of operators removing the need for point-to-point protocols and vocoders at every operator position.
- Choice of radio provider: with iteroperability features, you are free to choose the radio manufacturers and protocols that offer the functionality you require and that meet your budget.
Read more about the cost saving benefits of RoIP here.
RoIP Benefit #2: Improve Reliability
RoIP Benefit #3: Increased Productivity
Radio over IP enables organizations to design a radio network infrastructure that suits their needs. This includes:
- Remote management
- Centralized configuration & maintenance
- Centralized command & control
- Local incident response
- Regional command centres
VoIP for Radio Networks
Radio over IP (RoIP) adds significant value to Radio Networks. This White Paper explores the many benefits of this technology and discusses the range of differing applications in which it can be used.
RoIP Benefit #4: Flexibility
- Connecting multiple sites over wide geographical areas
- Easily adding additional locations and gateways – including for mobile teams for incident response
- Enables staged migration from analog to digital radio
Learn more about the Flexibility of RoIP here.
RoIP Benefit #5: Interoperability
Additional Features Available Through RoIP Connectivity
We’ll find the perfect system for your individual needs
Gateways for Digital & Analog Networks
Whether you using digital radio technologies such as DMR, IDAS, MotoTRBO, Nexedge, P25 or Tetra, or you require IP connectivity for your analog networks, we have the solution for you.
Best RoIP Vendor
3 Reasons Why You Should Choose Omnitronics RoIP Solutions
Over 15 Years
15+ years of connecting radios using
Radio over IP
One of the first in the world to develop RoIP technology
Customized RoIP Features
We can customize to suit your applications with our clever team of RoIP engineers
Similar Success Stories
Webinar: How Remote Working can Become a Reality With RoIP Remote working for roles like radio dispatch operators was once considered...
Webinar: Creating Reliable, Efficient Communications Without Breaking The Bank Using Radio over IP for Law Enforcement Agencies Join us...